the laid.back Buddhist has MOVED...back!

Thursday, September 27

Tippin' Generously

Giving is good...but sharing is even better!

I got tagged the other day by Christy's Blogging Tips Meme: the idea is to copy the list, star your favorite ones (I picked my top 5 favorites), add your own tip at the very end, and then pass it on.

*1. Look, read, and learn.
2. Be, EXCELLENT to each other.
3. Don’t let money change ya!
4. Always reply to your comments.
*5. Blog about what you know & love.
6. Don’t use filthy language-buy a dictionary.
7. Blog about something educational.
8. Be yourself; others will follow.
9. Don’t have too many blogs that will become a chore to maintain.
10. Keep it simple, user-friendly, interesting and organized!
11. Keep the blog simple and sweet!!!
12. Share with others your thoughts and don’t be shy!
13. Never ask for link exchange. Blog hop to increase traffic.
14. Don’t clutter your blog with ads all over the place. IT’S IRRITATING.
15. Don’t comment for the sake of commenting. Some looked too fake and its a big turn off!
16. Share something interesting and you will gain more readers.
17. Show that we care to all bloggers, treat each other as friends.
18. Pictures say a million words. Keep them coming!
*19. Blogging should be fun or you’ll get tired of it pretty soon.
20. Don’t think people will come to your blog if you’re not willing to pay a visit to them.
21. Everyone loves read short posting and best, illustrated with a picture.
*22. Try not to publish more than 5 posts in one blog a day. Even if it’s from feed reader, it’s quite hard to digest and catch up reading everything.
23. Blog: the other window to peek into people’s life, minus the trouble. Keep a certain level of privacy to yourself.
24. Never tell your readers that you are going on vacation. That’s basically telling them to not visit your blog for a week. Instead, write several posts, and take advantage of the timestamp feature.
25. Try and write with people in mind that are "somewhat similar to you". Allow your audience to identify with your blog and feel "at home".
*26. The key to a good article is a good introduction. A joke, a question or a picture does wonders.
27. If you are looking to earn an income blogging read StevePavlina.com and Problogger.net, you will be amazed at what you can learn.




28. Write for yourself first. Remember that it takes time, effort, patience...and above all, daring. [The Laidback Buddhist]





I want to see some blogging tips from:

Bobbarama; he in all his bobbarama-ness glory makes me laugh
Dan; he spars with me while dodging questions ;)
Morgan; she always shares some great insight about her life
Chris C; he tickles my funny bone like no other
Skipper; she possesses an attitude that kicks major butt
Lewis Empire; he makes me uber-proud to be a part of his empire
Richard; he takes awesome scenic pix and is also my go-to person for climbing tips
Jon; he encourages my freaky widget lust
Chris Bloczynski; he already offers me a lot of blogging tips from his posts
Ben; she, yes, SHE (I have a boyish first name as well) is taking belly-dancing classes and that makes her my hero

Now, get to it!

20 Musing(s):

Anonymous said...

oh you got me! This looks like quite an interesting meme...I swear I will be all over it this weekend!
Thanks for thinking of me!
:)

Joanne said...

Morgan: Anytime! I'll be on the look-out for your tip =)

peteej said...

How strange, I just gave someone the nearly the same advice about writing:

"Write for yourself, never others."

Unless you're in marketing, that is.
:)

Joanne said...

Peteej: Yeah, it's one of those basic values/ideas (putting yourself first is not being selfish). So, since it wasn't on the Viral I figured I ought add it...sometimes, it's easy to forget the simple things! I believe daring is just as important because writing is like giving a part of yourself away--it requires courage and willingness to take that risk.

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is so precious. You have guaranteed yourself another tag, plus you let slip a little tidbit of information about yourself that explains a couple things. This blog sparring is still so on!!!

Joanne said...

Dan: Since when was our blog sparring ever off? Hahaha, I blanked for a sec before realizing that you see my real name (as opposed to nickname) when I emailed you my thoughts on your eCommerce site. But that's only 1 thing, did I reveal something else? That is what you meant right? Hm...

Anonymous said...

Since when was our blog sparring ever off?

It wasn't. Now it's just even more on. (Just don't read that too fast; we'll both look bad.)

That is what you meant right? Hm...

Hm, indeed. Hmmm. Indeed. :-)

Anonymous said...

You do realize that I won't follow any of the rules for this meme right?

Those are a lot of great tips though.

Too bad their concept of blog promotion is completely wrong if someone is trying to promote their content, not a product or service.

Anonymous said...

First off, nice blog! And great tips too. I combined points 7 & 24 to learn about the timestamp feature. Duh!!! I didnt know THAT. (Although I did wonder about it a couple of times before)

Dont mind if I visit your blog more often than not :P

DICEY said...

I am a picture blogger. My posts always has one pic. I sometimes spend more time on finding the right pic than writing a post. ;)

Anonymous said...

As a writer and lover of words and blog author these are excellents points to remember. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

What a great meme! I agree. Blogging should be fun. If it isn't, it will all just feel like work. We all have enough of that.

Anonymous said...

Joanne - thanks so much for the compliment! I will be thinking about this and post this weekend...

Anonymous said...

Wow. Great list. And thanks for the shoutout. I usually don't do things like this, because I get tagged a lot. I just might do this one, though. Thanks again!!!!

Rolando said...

darn you got Morgan before I did, lol.

Anonymous said...

Do people really post more than five articles a day. That must be exhausting. I was doing too much when I had time for 5 a week.

"The key to a good article is a good introduction. A joke, a question or a picture does wonders."

I think this is very important ant though I rarely do it.And despite not beibg interested in Pro Blogging I do read Pro Blogger.

Good Choices.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I've been a good girl and finished the tag la ;)

Check it out here~
http://www.liferollercoaster.com/index.php/2007/09/29/saturday-afternoon-with-two-tags/

Joanne said...

Dan: Haha, nice. As with all things, there’s an interesting story behind my name. It’ll probably appear as blog post one of these days, hah.

Chris C: Of course, why else do you think I chose you?

Rinchen: Hahaha, thanks. Yeah, I’m wondering if the timestamp feature will work for Blogger…must test it out one of these days…

Dicey: OMG, I know what you mean. I think pictures are a great addition to posts, but I either forget or can’t find the picture I want, haha.

Dailytri: They are, aren’t they? What I enjoy most about this list is that it’s a team effort compiled by a bunch of bloggers, most of whom don’t know each other!

Erina: Very true, without the passion…there’s no drive. And with no drive, there’s no result.

Beth: Haha, you’re very welcome. I’ll be waiting for your tip!

Bobbarama: Sweet! Now I’ll be constantly checking each new post of yours to see if it’s the Blogging Tips Meme, haha…oh, boy.

Rolando: MUAHahaha. I think I deserve a snowcone for becoming so good at all this tagging, eh? :P

Cooper: Yeah, I think it may be one of those joint-effort blogs. But over 5 posts a day makes me delete that blog from my feed reader. Instead, I’d rather check the website every once in a while. Which doesn’t seem to make sense, but it’s a lot easier on me, hah. I think intros are really important for the people who visit my blog for the first time…if they don’t know who I am and how I write, it’s the intro that clues them in into what they may have gotten themselves into by visiting my blog, lols. ;)

Ben: Yay! I’ll check it out sometime later today, for sure =)

Anonymous said...

Ah, I've gone and added to the list on my blog Joanne. Maybe I broke the rules, I did two (one in the same genre as what others have said). :) And one about photos. :)

Passed the torch on to a few others.

Joanne said...

Rich: Yay! Thanks. Hahaha, oh...well, rules are so over-rated anyhow. ;)


IF YOU'RE GOING THROUGH HELL, KEEP GOING.
Winston Churchill