the laid.back Buddhist has MOVED...back!

Wednesday, October 17

The Personal Cheerleader

Photography by DiHa1977


She is beautiful. Heartbreakingly beautiful.

In all the ways that makes my eyes smile with tears and my heart swell with pride. My love sings with delighted abandon, for her.

I know this. I’ve always known it.

Yet it still takes my breath away, every single time. It grabs me by surprise, and I’m left reeling in wonderment…

Where does all the time go?

One moment she’s mulishly giving my hair once last vicious yank, biting my fingers to purple blisters, and leaving entire imprints of her upper teeth on my arm. In the next she doesn’t stop following me around, buggering the living daylights out of me while redefining the meaning of an infernal chatterbox.

And now she’s old enough to aptly deliver a reprimand well-deserved.


She is a thrill. Surprising, daunting, and thoroughly inspiring.

I was stunned the day I realized that she looked up to me.

That someone thinks the world ten thousand times over of me blew my mind...and humbled my heart. So ever since that timely epiphany, I continually strive to reaffirm that I am worthy of such unconditional adoration.

For her sake, as well as my own.

And to show her that I’m not perfect. That I make mistakes and will, in all likelihood, continue to do so...

We need to make those mistakes for it’s how we learn. To live.

She pushes me to see my own actions through her eyes. She pushes me to be better and to achieve more.

My personal cheerleader. My best friend.

She is my sister.

23 Musing(s):

Shelia said...

I have such a beautiful sister Joanne. She is so worthy of each and every one of these words. She's my bestest and mostest!

HazyReality said...

I love your writing style! It's so refreshing and so alive. Keep up the good work!

HazyReality said...

p.s. how did you get a template with three columns? I looked for it on blogger and couldn't find it.

Anonymous said...

Wonderfully written. My sister just turned 12 and she's devastatingly beautiful. She lives in LA with my mom, and I miss her something awful. :|

Anonymous said...

Nicely written about your sister.. ehh.. post her picture next time.. :)

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

You know Joanne, being an only child in my family, I've always wondered what it was like to have siblings and that post you just wrote makes me wonder why my parents didn't make me a brother or a sister!

Moooooog35 said...

Very eloquent - very nice.

I, too, am an only child...so I can only imagine what I would have been like had I had someone to do this for me.

..maybe I wouldn't be writing about stuff like poo all the time.

Thanks for dropping by my site, by the way, and leaving a comment. Much appreciated!

conan_cat said...

awww that is so sweet... :D my personal cheerleader is well... haha you know. my family wasn't that supportive, prolly because i'm just too far from reach to them... dunno ler haha.

Joanne said...

Shelia: Sisterhood is precious. And even though I will always want to have a brother, I wouldn’t give up having my little sister for the world!

Hazyreality: Thank you! I got it through a hack, from http://www.thurbroeders.nl/ . It’s based off one of the blogger themes.

Lisa: Aww, 12 is such a sweet age. I love teasing my male cousins when they’re at that age, too! Wicked fun, haha.

Nick: Hahaha, my mom teases me by saying that I was too attached as a young child and she had a second child for my sake…apparently, I was one of those leg-huggers and would constantly run into her leg whenever she stopped because I was too busy looking in the other direction!

Moooooog35: LOLOLs. Oh, I enjoy your posts very much…it is my pleasure. =)

Conan: Thanks! Haha, I do know. I think our significant others should be our personal cheerleaders as well. My little sister is simply my first! =) And, of course, we have family and then we have our chosen family. You’ve got my support always because you pretty much rock!

Unknown said...

It's wonderful, finding out that the people we love, admire and look up to, actually look up to us. It's beautiful.

You seem to be blessed with amazing family bonds.

jon said...

I love my sis so much. She has been a real amazing support in my life. :)

I love when you write about family. Very moving and wonderful. :)

Stealth said...

I feel the sama bout mine. A lovely woman whom I love with all of my heart. Wonderful post.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful Omage to your sister.

mcgee said...

what a beautiful post! my younger sister is 24 today. it's like you read my thoughts about her...

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to your sister. I'm just starting to have a relationship with both my sisters and I hope one day to feel as well as have the relationship you write so brilliantly about!

me said...

Odd to see you refer to someone as your "best friend."

I've never seen or heard of siblings who exhibit such a close relationship as the one you and yours seem to have.

I'm somewhat oblivious to how that even works.

abbagirl said...

this is a beautifully written post. i envy you a bit, too. i've got two sisters and am somewhat close with them but certainly not as close as you are with yours. that's a great thing you got there.

Rolando said...

Ahh how cool. Wish I had a sister. I'd want her to be just like yours.

Joanne said...

Daniel: Haha, thanks. They’re great but there are times they do drive me up the wall!

Jon: Exactly, siblings are a priceless support system. My mom always reminds us that after they pass away, my sister and I will have each other. Although, I think she also brings that up to make us go all sappy to stop an argument, lols.

Stealth: Thank you! It’s such a gift to be able to watch someone grow up while growing up with her as well!

Meleah: Thanks =)

Mcgee: Aww, what a coincidence!

Morgan: Thank you. It depends somewhat on timing, like I know that as we get older, my sister and I will probably get closer as friends. 5 years isn’t a huge gap per se, but it seems so when we’re younger. I’m glad you’re building closer relationships with your sisters…you’re so lucky to have more than one!

Vy: Haha, yeah. You know, moving around so much when we were kids helped develop us into a pretty tight-knit family…that could be part of it.

Abbagirl: Thank you! I appreciate having her as a sister so much, even if it also means having someone constantly raid my closet, haha! ;)

Rolando: LOLs. Then do you have a brother, perhaps?

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet...

Joanne said...

Deborah: Thank you! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it =)

Anonymous said...

D'oh! When I read "she’s...biting my fingers to purple blisters, and leaving entire imprints of her upper teeth on my arm. In the next she doesn’t stop following me around" I thought you were talking about a pet cat or dog. Lol! That's so great that you have that really close bond with your sister. :o)

Joanne said...

alilsumptinsumptin: Hahahaha! Omg, I was curious if anyone would think that for a sec because when I was re-reading the post for edits I did think to myself that it almost sounds like my sis is a pet, lols. I'm so glad you shared this thought!


IF YOU'RE GOING THROUGH HELL, KEEP GOING.
Winston Churchill