the laid.back Buddhist has MOVED...back!

Wednesday, November 14

Up, Up, and Away!

Damn, it’s almost noon.

I need to:

1. Pack my bags (yes, still)

2. Do laundry bring it home

3.Clear the fridge

(jeez, seriously have got to stop doing things the day of)

4.Resist the urge to help out the Judicial Office

5.Resist the urge to pack my textbooks and work…


Because break for me is exactly that.

No cell phone, email, or laptop. I go on a social hiatus, flip the switch and my number one priority and focus is my family.

Okay, not that they aren’t always numero uno.

But when I’m away at school, student life becomes this greedy attention-whore. It’s why my mom has to pull a preemptive strike to make sure I visit on weekends (by the way, I totally aced my Mom’s Ritual Health Inspection…well, except the whole eating-meat-5x-a-week thing).

I tried to explain to her that the number isn’t really as bad as it seemed because the actual amount each time isn’t a lot and that when I occasionally make dinner with Vy, we’ll use organic chicken. She still looked aghast, though.

Well, I’ve been busy getting work done early (gasp, the inherent procrastinator?!) because I don’t like dealing with the guilt of having unfinished work looming over my head when I’m with my family or when trying to enjoy my full-body massages.

Speaking of which, last week I realized that it’s been over 6 months since someone (other than me) has touched my legs. Holy shit, the dry Virginia winter air wreaks vicious havoc on careless bums who don’t lotion their bodies after showers.

And oh boy, this is going to sound borderline hypocritical of me…but when I don’t have Someone of Interest to me, I get lazy and instead of moisturizing my skin every day, it becomes every 2-3 days (read: basically when my skin screams back at me in vindictive mutiny). Likewise (for partly the same reason for my haphazard use of body lotion), these days I’m also more likely to be seen wearing The Uniform of hoodie, jeans, and tennis shoes. There’s this really sweet German grad student whom I worked with last year, and she said how much she liked my style. How unique it is...

...uh, sadly...this year, the past few times I've ran into her on-campus I’ve been wearing The Uniform. What’s more embarrassing is that for each of those times, I happened to wearing the exact same Maroon hoodie.

Cringes.

Anyhow. I need to finish some work (so that I’m not tempted to bring it along) and start throwing in dirty clothes into my suitcase. Just wanted to wish everyone a super-early Thanksgiving, I’ll be out of touch.

So, enjoy the reconnecting, rejuvenating recharge with your families, I know I will*!

_______________________________________________
*Well, besides fending off questions from extended family of why I don’t have a boyfriend, why I decided not to go to med. school after all, why I plan on moving across the country, etc and oh…yeah that 24/7 nurse-maid who always tries to flirt unsuccessfully (and very distastefully) with my dad whenever we visit.

33 Musing(s):

HazyReality said...

Haha, we all need a break once in a while. Do people ever tell you that the pic under guess who looks like kristen kreuk? I wrote an entry in my blog about buddhism, I was hoping that I could get some feedback from a buddhist?

p.s. post some more kristen kreuk lookalike pics. :)

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful break and have lots of 'turducken'!!!

jon said...

take that break! Enjoy it! Avoid thinking of anything and everything that would keep you from recharging your batteries. :D

jon

mcgee said...

oh how i miss the breaks we used to get at school. sigh.

have a great one!

Anonymous said...

Have a great trip!!

Michelle and the City said...

enjoy your time off!! :)

Stealth said...

Will this school break also mean a blogging break? Because what will I do?

Valley Girl said...

Have a wonderful time at the fam's house!

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Have fun on your break.

Feisty Crone said...

Have a great time, but come back to us!

Anonymous said...

You have the right attitude! Enjoy the break...

Anonymous said...

Have fun! You'll be missed.

Rachel said...

Ah, the college uniform. All I can say is "enjoy it while it lasts." You have your whole life to develop that unique style, but most likely there is a short window of opportunity for jeans and sweatshirts all-day, everyday.

Katelin said...

Have a great break! Text book free of course :)

Anonymous said...

Enjoy.. ;)

I am going back hometown too..

Sarcasm Abounds said...

have a lovely holiday.

SA

Susie said...

Hello Joanne, enjoy your visit at home, take a break and then come back and do a meme.

I've tagged you and you can find the meme here.

Enjoy your break!

Anonymous said...

Have a lovely break Jo.

me said...

It's nice you're still wearing The Uniform with its tear and all. ;)

Anonymous said...

Have a nice break! Isn't it a problem that your maid is flirting with your dad? Isn't your mom upset!?

yo e said...

yes i agree family is everything knowledge is trunkey-

check out this site silly fun

www.sisterstarling.com

conan_cat said...

oh yeah, holidays are always good for you! :D hope you will get recharged and get back to whatever you're doing only after you've fully enhoyed yourself with your family! :D

and lol you don't need aboyfriend to live for gawds sake haha. nurse maid lol.. XD

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the break Joanne and I am sure you will come back to us filled with ponder upon!
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

P.S. I have to admit I LMAO about the whole lotion thing.....I can totally RELATE... lol

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean about The Uniform. I'm always wearing my version of it when I run into someone I don't want to run into or some other equally annoying situation. Ugh.

Enjoy your time at home!!

Cindy Breninger said...

Breaks are the best! :)
Cindy
www.adayinthelifeofcindy.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

have a great time / nice break

Ill be right here when you get back!

Anonymous said...

Have a very jolly holiday!

And relax.....

Princess Pointful said...

My parents are absolutely clueless when it comes to technology, which was nice and frustrating when I visited, as I was internet-less. However, upon getting a laptop, I discovered a mysterious wireless signal- meaning I have no excuse for being disconnected from the rest of the world now. Damn!

thethinker said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy!

You know, I have never lotioned my legs once. Maybe they don't get dry because I don't shave them. Now that I think about it, I've never lotioned at all. I guess I'm just moist.

The Ex said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you enjoy your break :)

abbagirl said...

hope you're having a great holiday break! can't wait 'til you're back -- we all miss you!!

--abbagirl

BillyWarhol said...

U've almost been 2 whole Weeks!!

;))

Glad to hear yer Dad's gettin' some o the Good Stuff!

Lucky Dog!!

;PPP


IF YOU'RE GOING THROUGH HELL, KEEP GOING.
Winston Churchill