the laid.back Buddhist has MOVED...back!

Wednesday, December 5

I Think So...Er, I Am

“We’re going to Seattle for winter break.”

“Okay. To visit Scott in Vancouver?” Scott’s my favorite younger male cousin.

"That, too."

3 weeks later.

“Actually, we decided on New York.”

“Ooh, does this mean we get to see Brian?” My favorite older male cousin.

“Yes.”

“Yay! Okay.”
Last week.

Voicemail: “Honey, don’t forget to bring back your passport. We’re going to Japan instead.”

That's an interesting new development.

2 days ago.

“Where do you think we should go for winter break?”
Ah, welcome to my mother. Queen of impulsive short getaway trips. I’ve learned not to get overly excited upon hearing a new destination, as there’s a good chance it’ll change.

“What happened to Japan?”

“Osaka’s too cold for your old Ma in the winter.”

I chuckle, guess there IS a way to put a clamp on impulsiveness after all!

“Well, I don’t care where we go if you want to travel," I mention the last part hopefully (albeit casually, I know how much my mom loves the family trips), "And, staying home is just fine, too, you know?”

Yesterday, early evening.

Email from Darmstadt informing me that someone’s going to be back during winter break and with a subtle invitation that he would like to catch up in person, anytime from Dec. 21 to Jan. 3.

Shit.

I changed my mind, Mom. I definitely want to travel—far, far away, please.

Yesterday, late evening.

“You called earlier?”

“Yeah, we might still be going to Japan.”

“Really! Mom, I thought you said Osaka was too cold?”

“Not if we go to the southern part of Japan.”

“Hm, I see.”

“Right now, we’re waiting for tickets from Tokyo to open up. I’ll let you know, okay?”

“Oh, wait…what are the dates you’re looking at?”

“Why?”

“I, uhh, just curious.”

Did I mention I suck at hiding things from my mom? Well, I do. MAJORLY.

Today.

Final Confirmation. Wish granted, Japan trip is on!

And I'm completely happy about this, right?

20 Musing(s):

Anonymous said...

And I'm completely happy about this, right?

I'm still stuck on that "You see, I have issues." quote which I think I may have engraved in stone, as just saving it to my file seems woefully inadequate. :-) But, you already knew that was going to come back to haunt you.

When (or can) you switch to OpenID on Google/Blogger? Or, when are you switching to WordPress? Google/Blogger's new comment system is bad-tasting.

Airam said...

Japan is definitely on my list of places to go.

Katelin said...

Haha, I love how many times your trip changed in that one post, that's great. And woo for ending up going to Japan! :)

Valley Girl said...

Please take me with.

Stealth said...

Does this mean that you'll be taking another extended break from blogging? I don't think I'm emotionally ready for that yet...

Nina Munteanu said...

HAR! Love how you told this, Joanne! I've tagged you in a cool meme. Come to The Alien Next Door to see: http://sfgirl-thealiennextdoor.blogspot.com/2007/12/seven-weird-random-facts-about-nina.html

Anonymous said...

Grats on going to Japan! Lots of cool pictures please =). I heard there's a spot in Japan that always have cosplayers.

meleah rebeccah said...

How you went from Seattle to Japan....

I say GOOD CALL.

Feisty Crone said...

You're going to take your laptop with you, right?

Princess Pointful said...

That is so not my life.
I am jealous of any form of impulsivity... grad school has stifled it all!

Stealth said...

Joanne - you've been tagged. (As if you didn't have enough to do...) Come by my place and check it out.

Monsieur Pingouin said...

I hope you will enjoy Japan.
«Bon voyage» :=)

mcgee said...

hahaha your mom and my mom would probably get along. i hope you have a fantastic time in japan!

Anonymous said...

Have a great trip!
By the way, I've tagged you. Come on by and play:
http://skinbeatergreg.blogspot.com/2007/12/tagged.html

ANA said...

*hulking green with envy*
Japan is awesome, lucky you....

KA said...

aww LUCKY!

Katherine said...

a) I'm jealous

b) I'm happy you'll be conveniently out of town when darmstadt isn't.

c) but the disappointment you may feel causes me to want to do this.... *BIIIIGGGGGG hug*

d) enjoy Japan :)

thethinker said...

Wow. I wish I could up and decide to go to Japan.

I'm definitely jealous!

Jess | the Jess Journals said...

Love your blog! I've never been to Osaka, but I've been to Tokyo & Sapporo - bundle up, it'll be FREEEZING. haha

Have a great trip though!!

Anonymous said...

Interesting read - I was tempted to add: 'I'm on the net - therefore I am' LoL

RennyBA's Terella


IF YOU'RE GOING THROUGH HELL, KEEP GOING.
Winston Churchill