the laid.back Buddhist has MOVED...back!

Tuesday, December 18

Simply Bribe Me With Food

Yeah, I'm that easy.

But it’s hard work, this work-hard-play-hard-eat-hard thing.

This week marks the transition from being a sedentary university student with jet-lagged days of sleeping, studying, eating, and skipping yoga to…being my mother’s daughter.

And it’s killing my calves!

Before Vy starts throwing Facebook cows at me (again), let me explain...

I haven’t played basketball in months and usually when that happens, I make-up for it by running on the ellipticals at the gym for an hour, 1-2x a week. But then this year, I got lazy and decided that going to the gym once (sadly, if even!) a week for yoga would be enough.

Yeah, not one of my brightest ideas.

Understandably, my body protested the whole Thanksgiving week in Taiwan—and sore muscles paired with lack of sleep is a surefire way to put a girl in a cranky mood, which is not the best way to spend a vacation. So, I refuse to have déjà-vu torture this upcoming week when we, as my mom jokes, continue to conquer Japan (Sapporo is in the works for the Spring/Summer).

That means re-building my leg muscle. That equals painfully hard work.

It all started Sunday. One brutal, sweat-filled hour of dance sport with Todd (aka Cutest Tush Ever). Feeling overconfident, I decided to bake stuff (in addition to all the usual household chores I pick up when I come home). Toss in cutting my own hair, my sister’s hair, and cut/dyeing my mom’s hair…I’m spending a lot of time on my feet.

It’s enough to induce me to skip 6:15 AM yoga. More than enough.

Unless, of course, you bribe me with food.

This morning, my mom bought a 6” mango cake from Whole Foods. And tomorrow? She’s going for my weak spot: their pumpkin pie.

Mmm, and it’s totally going to work, you know. I didn’t get to eat pumpkin pie or pumpkin cheesecake for Thanksgiving, which is something I look forward to every year starting in October. Therefore, it’s quite safe to say, I’ve been having this unsatisfied pumpkin craving for over 2 MONTHS!

I’ll be damned if I don’t wake up tomorrow at 5:30 AM to go to yoga.

That pie is so mine.

27 Musing(s):

Stealth said...

I'll do anything for sushi. Glad to see you posting again. I've missed reading you.

Anonymous said...

yeah work hard play hard is the principle that we hold always

me said...

Sounds like your break's keeping you busy. I just finished reading Ender's Game. Pretty good. Now I don't know what to do with myself... Any suggestion on what book I might like?

jon said...

I can be bribed with any decent food, or Rum Raisin Ice Cream.

peteej said...

Jon, you're like the only other person I know who likes Rum Raisin. It's in the stores now, get it while you can!

Becka Robinson said...

HaHaHaHaHaHa. So funny!
I'm supposed to be training for a half marathon but I completely slacked off this month. No good. Maybe I need to swing by the bakery of Whole Foods for some inspiration! :)

Michelle and the City said...

pumpkin food works on me too. in the form of pie, cheesecake, frosted cookies, muffins. yeah pretty much anything pumpkin would work. lol

Cooper said...

Enjoy the break Jo. If I don't get back around happy holidays with lots of good food and drink and family.

here's to adding that extra two miles on to the run to make up for all the food we intentional shove in out faces this time of year.

yum

peace

Katelin said...

Haha, I can be bribed by food too, it's okay.

Princess Pointful said...

I still don't know if I could be talked into 5:30am Yoga... I think my "not-a-morning-person" trait overwhelms even my sweet tooth.
I mean teeth.

meleah rebeccah said...

hey! Welcome back sweety!

I probably couldn't convince myself to get up at 530am for a million dollars.... for YOGA.... NO WAY.

Alexis said...

Hmm...yes. All you say is true.

Michael J. Kannengieser said...

Hi,
I'm just dropping by to say Happy Holidays. be happy and healthy. See you in the new year. -Mike.

Valley Girl said...

5:30 a.m. yoga? You are hard-core!

delmer said...

This past Thanksgiving I played moderately-hard basketball for the first time in many many years. My knees (which are, granted, more than twice as old as yours) still hurt some.

Brian Wu said...

Awesome blog. I like the facebook references. I'm on it too, and on blogger. Feel free to check either out. You can find me on facebook if you go to my blog.

I'm Buddhist too but I haven't really done anything with it since I was like 7.

It's really cool to see how developed your blog is. You have my vote for best diarist!

Black_Mamba said...

Hey Joanne!

Have A Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year!!!

Wishing you all the best for the coming year.

Ivy :)

CHESSNOID said...

Happy Holidays!

Stealth said...

I'll send you a pumpkin pie if you'll just start posting again. I'm having Joanne withdrawls.

mojo shivers said...

I'm crazy enough to go to the gym four times a week... but I ain't crazy enough (yet) to attempt yoga. LOL

the frogster said...

I am totally the same way about pumpkin pie. I'm afraid to write the things I'd probably do just to lick the pan.

ANA said...

hahaha....I lurve pies too.

Anonymous said...

Gostei muito desse post e seu blog é muito interessante, vou passar por aqui sempre =) Depois dá uma passada lá no meu site, que é sobre o CresceNet, espero que goste. O endereço dele é http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . Um abraço.

j said...

update update update! i'm new to blogging, and you're great. i'm also new to buddhism! hope to read more of you soon :)

Anonymous said...

You need to come back...soon!

Diane said...

Welcome back! All I have to say to you is - enjoy the pie!

Diane

Sam said...

Congratulations. I am satisfied with the standard of the data provided. I sincerely hope that you keep up with the brilliant work conducted.
Santa Ana CA Locksmith
Wellington Locksmiths
Locksmith Cupertino CA
Locksmith Milpitas
Locksmith Newark CA
Locksmith Fremont CA
locksmith in hialeah
pembroke pines locksmiths
plano locksmith
locksmith pembroke pines
locksmith hialeah
Locksmith Mesquite tx
locksmith hialeah
irvine locksmiths
locksmith in hialeah
fort worth locksmith
mesquite locksmiths
miami locksmiths
locksmith miami beach fl
locksmith fort worth tx
locksmith miami beach fl


IF YOU'RE GOING THROUGH HELL, KEEP GOING.
Winston Churchill